The ELVEDEN ESTATE
Garden of Elveden is based on the Elveden Estate and situated in the heart of the East Anglian farming region. Home to the UK’s largest lowland farm, farming has been taking place on the 22,500 acre estate for almost 100 years.
The Elveden Estate, on the Norfolk/Suffolk border, has an area equivalent to over 15,000 football pitches and includes over 10,000 acres of farmland. The free draining soils are used to grow a wide range of crops including potatoes, onions, carrots and parsnips. The Elveden Estate is a Red Tractor and LEAF Marque farm; committed to improving farming and the environment. The Elveden Estate farming operation also extends to other farms in the UK.
Environment and Conservation
The name Elveden is said to come from the Old English ‘ælfa-dene‘ or ‘elves' valley'. Whilst no elves have been spotted recently, the estate is inhabited by Red, Roe, Fallow and Muntjac Deer and is home to a number of rare bird species including Woodlark, Nightjar, Lapwing and Stone Curlew. The many areas of natural breckland are also host to many plants found nowhere else in the country including Perennial Knawel, Spanish Catchfly and Fingered Speedwell. With many areas designated as Sites of Special Scientific Interest the Elveden Estate has a long tradition of farming with environmental responsibility thereby helping to preserve one of the most important wildlife areas in Britain
The Elveden Estate has been privately owned by the world-famous Guinness family since 1894. Rupert Guinness, great great grandson of Arthur Guinness, transformed the lands for agricultural use in 1927 and, by planting windbreak hedges to prevent the precious topsoil blowing away, created the belts of twisted Scots pines that can be seen crossing the estate today.
Prior to the Guinness family, the estate was owned by the Maharajah Duleep Singh, the last Maharajah of the Sikh Empire.
The Elveden Memorial
Commissioned by the Earl of Iveagh and situated at the central point of the Elveden Estate the landmark Elveden memorial stands 113 feet high and is one of the tallest war memorials in Great Britain.
Memorial images: Bill Blake Heritage Documentation (2013)